This is a very important step - take care of your tattoo until it fully heals. Instructions that the studio gives you should be followed when caring for your tattoo so that you heal properly. If you see or feel any signs of infection such as pain, spreading redness, swelling, or drainage of pus, call your doctor.
- It is advisable to keep a bandage on the area for up to 24 hours.
- The tattoo artist will probably advise you to avoid touching the tattoo and not to pick at any scabs that form.
- You will be advised to wash the tattoo with an antibacterial soap (don't use alcohol or peroxide =they'll dry out the tattoo). Using a soft towel to dry the tattoo — just pat it dry and don’t rub.
- Antibiotic ointment may be advised on the tattoo. It is recommended not to use petroleum jelly!
- If you have redness or swelling try an ice pack on the area.
- Keep the tattoo dry until it heals, staying away from pools, hot tubs, or long, hot baths would be best.
- Your tattoo should be kept out of the sun until it's fully healed.